For participants who are behind in their rent due to COVID 19 income loss/reduction, there are 4 Emergency Rental Assistance Programs getting underway simultaneously that you should be aware of. They are designed to provide relief to both tenants and landlords impacted by COVID 19.
For tenants/landlords who live in the City of Oakland: www.KeepOaklandHoused.org
For tenants/landlords who live in the City of Fremont: www.Fremont.gov/keepfremonthoused
For tenants/landlords who live elsewhere in Alameda County: www.ac-housingsecure.org
For tenants/landlords who live elsewhere in the State of CA: www.HousingIsKey.com
Applications are available on these websites, including instructions on how to apply, and lists of agencies who are providing help with filling out applications.
Here are some basic facts about the program:
Rental assistance for rent owed due to COVID 19 hardship for the period of 4/1/2020-3/31/2021
Assistance is available to both tenants and landlords - they must each submit an application
Local programs will cover 100% of back rent owed as well as back owed utilities; the State program will pay landlords 80% of back rent owed if they waive the remaining 20% and will not cover utilities
If you have questions about these programs, here are the local contacts
City of Oakland - firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Fremont - email@example.com
Alameda County - firstname.lastname@example.org
State hotline for applications: 1-833-687-0967